Travel reports

Links to friends

Our Cannabis Shops

Image Galleries

Link to Hempcity

Guestbook

You won't believe this even for the US. Totally unbelievable

...and what a policy!
America, land of prohibition and professional prisons. With Canada and Mexico following like children.

Moderators: deliriumt, milehigh, CoolZero

You won't believe this even for the US. Totally unbelievable

Postby Virgil » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am

Now some people don't take it seriously when I say "We are ruled by treason" when I could not be more serious. The industries have taken over their own regulation. The pill companies actually pay for part of the operation of the Food and Drug Administration. It is out to protect their profits and the public good is not relevant. The oil industry took maps into Cheney's office of Iraq to tell him to get those Iraqis off our oil. The military-industrial complex has the government buy anything that kills and to get busy with WW3.

The drug wars lead the assault that killed the Constitution and the War on Terror is just an excuse to shut down dissent. But even for the plutocratic rulers that need a drug war to humble the masses and keep prices up for the benefit of CIA black-ops, this is beyond bold violation of the Constitution.

This thread was spawned by this thread at DU- http://tinyurl.com/467ga The following comes from the link mentioned in that thread- http://tinyurl.com/66zhs
-------------------------------------------------------------
Action #1
ALERT: Drug Speech Censorship Bill Nearing Passage
Contact Legislators: Stop the Censorship Provisions of Bankruptcy Reform Act, and the Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act!
Introduction

Both the Bankruptcy Reform Act and The Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act may sound like a good ideas from their titles, but their effect would be to stop constitutionally protected speech on the Internet and in print, and there are several other very disturbing aspects.

The BANKRUPTCY REFORM ACT, H.R. 833, is in House/Senate conference and the closest to passing. It passed the House intact (as a bankruptcy reform measure), but passed the Senate with the full text of Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act (see below) attached as a "rider", Title XVII.
The Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act also remains in circulation as a stand-alone bill. H.R. 2987.

Some of the provisions H.R. 833 Title XVII/H.R. 2987 that EFF objects to:

* Makes it illegal to share information about harm reduction and growing hemp even for industrial purposes. Not only does it criminalize speech, it makes it illegal to even LINK TO sites with these types of articles and gives the government power to order Web sites censored and shut down without due process of law. It gives the DEA and the FBI the right to order ISPs to close down a site without notice to the owner on a police judgement call without an order from a court. This provision violates the First, Fourth and Fifths Amendments (free speech, freedom from unreasonable search and seizure, due process).
* H.R. 833 and H.R. 2987 will allow secret searches. This provision was beaten down before but is trying to come in through the back door again. The government could enter your home or office with a warrant, search or copy files from your computer and not tell you till months later. Another section of this bill removes the responsibility of the government to give an inventory of what was seized as is currently required under the law. This provision also violates the Fourth Amendment.
* The bill would also create new federal drug offences and incarcerate a whole new wave of low-level "drug offenders", this time for merely expressing themselves. This is a major threat to the First Amendment and American democracy in general.

There is a broad coalition of organizations and people opposing both H.R. 833 Title XVII and H.R. 2987. These include the ACLU, the Drug Reform Coordination Network, the Media Awareness Project, and the November Coalition among many others.
We are slaves to the corporations and the government is the overseer.
Virgil
Forum builder

you won't believe this...

Postby qahouaji » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:31 am

hi--

glad to say, this one didn't pass. I checked the Congress website: the "Metamphetamine Anti Proliferation Act" was a bill considered in 2000, but never passed. The Bankruptcy Bill did pass, but nowhere was in evidence the rider you mentioned.

I just don't think, even in these dark and fearful times in the good old USA, that such a bill would ever pass. It hasn't reached the gavel of Congress recently, and I seriously doubt, with the Constitution so debated today, that such a bill could ever become law, even under Bush.

They might feel, however, that they've some "reasons" to pass it; many sites give growing and trafficking information. But to incriminate someone for simply looking at a website, well, even the USA couldn't really make that law (though some would definitely like doing so, that's obvious).

Thanks for the posting, though. I'll be looking up norml.org to see if this does come up. Probably, norml.org would organize a protest vehicle to fight such a measure...

...the trend. In the USA, state laws are becoming less punitive and more focused on treatment and decriminalization. You are right, the Feds are more interested in roughening the laws so that they are blameless in the evil War on Drugs. But it won't work, with time, freedom will be heard...

....keep the faith. Peace

The Qahouaji
qahouaji

Only copy I can find still working

Postby Virgil » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 am

The direct link mentioned in the OP is down and now it seems like the DU thread will not link. The article is still up at http://www.eff.org/effector/HTML/effect13.05.html#I
We are slaves to the corporations and the government is the overseer.
Virgil
Forum builder

Return to Cannabis policies of North America.