Dutch Growrooms

Travel reports

Links to friends

Our Cannabis Shops

Image Galleries

Link to Hempcity

Guestbook

Cannabis chocolate 'made to ease MS'

Policies and information for the other countries of the European Union.

Moderators: deliriumt, cannabinol, milehigh, CoolZero

Postby winstone » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Russell Jenkins

'22,000 bars were sent to sufferers'

'Pots, pans and plants at home'

Multiple sclerosis sufferers around the world swore by the chocolate bars made at Mark and Lezley Gibson’s gift shop in the Lake District.
The couple sent out about 22,000 of their bars and made no secret on their website of the special ingredient that made them so popular.

But that ingredient was to lead Mr and Mrs Gibson into the dock at Carlisle Crown Court yesterday, where both are accused of conspiring to supply cannabis.

Along with a family friend, Marcus Davies, 36, they set up the campaign group Therapeutic Help from Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis and on their website, http://www.thc4ms.org, offered their “Canna-Biz” chocolate bars, the court was told.

Mrs Gibson, who suffers from MS, her 42-year-old husband and Mr Davies made no secret of their campaign to legalise cannabis for therapeutic pain relief.

They made no charge but there was a request that each “buyer” establish that they were an MS sufferer and that they make a donation to meet production costs.

Over a period throughout 2004 and up to February last year about 22,000 of the 150g (5oz) bars were despatched, each one of them laced with 3.5g of cannabis. A mailing list with 460 addresses was later found by police.

Mr Gibson and his wife, from Alston, Cumbria, along with Mr Davies, from St Ives, Cambridgeshire, who is said to have operated a post office box address for the cottage industry, deny the conspiracy charges against them.

Jeremy Grout-Smith, for the prosecution, told the jury that while the trio might be well intentioned, they had no defence against the charges which carry a maximum sentence of 14 years’ imprisonment.

“To supply cannabis, even if you believe it is doing some good, is not a defence,” he said.

The court was told that police became involved in January when the duty manager at the Royal Mail sorting office in Carlisle contacted them about a package which had spilled open during sorting. Officers seized 33 Jiffy bags containing the Canna-Biz product. Each of the packets carried a PO box address in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, as the return address. The wrappers also carried the website address which was later found to be run by the three defendants.

Mr Grout-Smith said that they were not conventional drug dealers but believed their actions would help to alleviate the pain of a debilitating illness. MS is a progressive disease which attacks the central nervous system.

Officers raided the Gibsons’ home in February, discovering cannabis chocolate bars, labels, packages and a mailing list.

Mr Grout-Smith said: “They also found some machinery for the manufacture of the bars, pots, pans, and a grinder, all to be used in what was really a cottage industry to make chocolate bars impregnated with cannabis.

“When analysed they were found to contain 3.5g of cannabis each, ground up and distributed throughout the 150g bar.”

Several months later officers pursued their investigations to Mr Davies’s home where they found cannabis plants in two sheds. The householder insisted the cannabis was for his own use.

Details were found of three bank accounts, registered in the name of Mr Davies’s girlfriend, in which about £40,000 had been deposited during a two-year period.

At least two of the accounts were thought to be used for money related to the cannabis chocolate enterprise.

“So this seems to be distribution on quite a large scale and, to some extent at least, the defendants may have benefited financially, although the Crown does not claim this was their main motivation.”

During a police interview, Mr Gibson admitted sending 22,000 bars to addresses around the world. But first they had sought proof that the recipients were MS sufferers.

The jury was told that Mrs Gibson suffers from MS.

A juror who made it known to the judge that she had a relative in the family with MS was told this was no bar to deciding guilt or innocence in the case.

The trial, expected to last seven days, continues.

The facts, man

Cannabis is derived from Cannabis sativa or Cannabis indica, a plant related to nettles and hops that is thought to have originated in India

The first written account of cannabis use can be found in Chinese records dating from 2800BC.

Herbal (grass, weed, skunk) is the dried flower buds of the plant; resin (hash, soapbar, black) is the buds formed into a block and then heated and crumbled before use; oil is by far the strongest form and made by dissolving, filtering and evaporating the resin

The main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 06,00.html
Join the Growing Smiling Revolution ...

http://www.lca-uk.org/lcaforum/index.php
winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Mark and Lezley are either side of Chris Baldwin in this Photo.

That I've used from Nol's online book on this site.

All three are on the left of the picture.

winnie

winstone
Forum builder

Postby bigfatllama » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:48 am

i read about it this morning,
damn royal mail :evil:
ive got my fingers crossed for them.
bigfatllama

Postby winstone » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:54 pm

ive got my fingers crossed for them.

Me too bigfatllama, these are real people, that shouldn't be in the courts...

Compassion being a crime...

Mad isn't it?

winnie

winstone
Forum builder

Postby bigfatllama » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:32 am

winstone wrote:Mad isn't it?

completely
hope the judge is in a good mood this week
bigfatllama

Postby winstone » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 am

The trail starts again today, however the defence case is not up till Monday, Lets hope the Judge has a good weekend-

winnie

winstone
Forum builder

Postby bigfatllama » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:57 am

do you know anything about the judge,
does he have 'form' on cannabis cases?
bigfatllama

Postby winstone » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:21 pm

No Idea BFL, however being optimistic

This is a better look and its still the prosecution time...

Cannabis chocolate 'was helpful'
Published on 08/12/2006

A 36-YEAR-old man in a wheelchair who suffers from multiple sclerosis told a jury at Carlisle Crown Court today that cannabis chocolate sent to him by a Cumbrian couple had been helpful.

Wayne Miller was giving evidence in the trial of 42-year-old Lesley Gibson, her husband Mark, also 42, and an old school friend of his, Marcus Davies, 38, from Cambridgeshire.

All three have pleaded not guilty to two counts of conspiring to supply cannabis in 2004 and 2005.

Mr Miller said he was diagnosed with MS 45 years ago and suffered particular problems with walking. He first learned about cannabis chocolate through the MS Society's Pathways magazine.

Asked about his contact with the Gibsons, he said he had written to the couple, who live at Front Street, Alston, and asked them to send him som of the cannabis chocolate.

"They wrote back and said they needed a doctor's note to prove that I had MS," said Mr Miller. Asked if the chocolate had given him any benefit, he replied: "It was very helpful."

The trial continues
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewa ... ?id=444192

Fingers crossed for the THC4MS 3.... winnie

winstone
Forum builder

Postby bigfatllama » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:13 am

im glad they've someone speaking positively for them.
well done wayne miller! :wink:
bigfatllama

Postby winstone » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:38 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6169701.stm

Source: BBC News
Date: December 11 2006

---
A man accused of conspiring to supply cannabis-laced chocolate bars campaigned for the drug to be used by sick people, a court has heard.

Mark Gibson and his wife Lezley, both 42, of Alston, Cumbria, are standing trial at Carlisle Crown Court with Marcus Davies, 36, of St Ives, Cambs.

All three deny two charges each of conspiring to supply cannabis.

The court heard how Mr Gibson had made a case for the medicinal use of the drug to the House of Lords.

He told the hearing he had become interested in the therapeutic potential of the drug many years ago because his wife has multiple sclerosis.

He said he had campaigned for the drug to be used by people with the illness since the late 1980s.

No secret

He also told the court he had been visited by police officers as far back as 2002 and been told not to be so "brazen" about what he was doing.

But he was not been arrested until last year, the jury heard.

He said the drug was only given to people who could prove they had MS and that a donation was all that was asked for.

It is alleged the three defendants sent home-made "Canna-Biz" bars by post to help patients cope with the pain of MS.

The jury at Carlisle Crown Court had already been told the trio made no secret of their involvement in the supply of the chocolate bars.

The trial continues.

winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:40 pm

This is the week, and things are looking good by the reports I've seen, plus the Judge has corrected the press , saying that they shouldn' t report that they've sold any, as they gave the chocolate away...

winnie

winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:07 pm

‘Steroids gave me beard’ woman tells drug trial
Published on 12/12/2006

A WOMAN has described how she ballooned to 14st and grew a beard when she was given anabolic steroids after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Lezley Gibson then told a jury how her condition improved when she was with her future husband and his friends, who were recreational users of cannabis.

The 42-year-old, who is on trial at Carlisle Crown Court for conspiracy to supply the drug, then added: “When I partook, it (the MS) did not bother me much at all.”

Gibson is in the dock alongside her husband Mark, also 42, and Marcus Davies, 38, who lives in St Ives, Cambridgeshire. All three deny two charges covering the years 2004 and 2005.

The Gibsons say they supplied free cannabis chocolate bars to MS sufferers who could provide medical evidence of their condition, while Davies set up a website for them and ran a PO Box number.

Lezley Gibson, who lives in Front Street, Alston, sat in the witness box yesterday afternoon and described how she was officially diagnosed with MS in February 1985, just before her 21st birthday.

She had trained as a hairdresser and beaten Andrew Collinge and Nicky Clarke, men who went on to become top stylists, in competitions. MS ended her career hopes.

She said: “I was going to open my own business but I was told that in five years I would be incontinent and in a wheelchair.” She told her barrister that neither of those things had happened.

She had never taken any other conventional medicine after being given the anabolic steroids which saw her weight rise from seven-and-a-half stones to 14st. She also grew the beard.

She spent a total of 10 weeks in hospital and said: “They (medical staff) taught me how to walk and talk again and they told me to use margarine rather than butter.

“They did not offer me anything at all. I would not have taken it anyway. I found all I could about MS. I read all the books. I met Mark in 1986.

“Mark and his friends were recreational users (of cannabis). When I was with them my MS was better. When I partook, it did not bother me much at all. I used to smoke cigarettes so it was not a big deal to have a spliff.”

Gibson said she was given a conditional discharge in 1989 for two counts of possessing cannabis and in 2000 was cleared at the Carlisle Crown Court of a similar charge after using a defence of medicinal necessity.

She said she then made a series of appearance on TV and radio which led to a whole string of MS sufferers getting in touch with her. Some were wheeled to her door while others wrote to ‘the woman with MS in Alston.’

She said: “I was overwhelmed because I still have trouble dealing with my own MS.”

She told how she and Mark Gibson began supplying the cannabis chocolate when a women sufferer in the Orkneys became too ill to carry on doing it.

She said she would probably have carried on doing if she had not been arrested and charged.

She said: “The law is wrong. Ill people should be allowed to take medicine. They should not be taken to court for it.”

Gibson also told the jury how her husband had two meetings with a senior Cumbrian police officer in 2002.

She said at the first her husband was warned not to open up a cannabis cafe while at the second he was told to ‘quieten it down and not draw attention to themselves.’

She believed that about two per cent of all MS sufferers in the country had been in touch with them over the years.

Earlier Michael Wood, a former solicitor, told how he was a regular user of the Canna-biz produced by the Gibsons. He said from his wheelchair: “It has great benefit to my condition, to my problems.”

The trial continues.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewa ... ?id=444760

winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:08 pm

Saturday, December 09, 2006
THC4MS Trial - Day 1

THC4MS, Day One

Personae:
His Honour, Judge John Phillips presiding
Mr Grout-Smith for the Crown
Greg Hoare, for Mark Gibson
Andrew Ford, for Lezley Gibson (aka Lesley Jane Gibson)
Michael Davies representing Marcus Davies (no relation)

A large jury panel of 24 people had been assembled in the expectation that there might be a number of disqualifications, since the defendants are well known locally and THC4MS has received quite a lot of press attention. It was decided, therefore, to empanel the jury and then dismiss the jurors for the rest of the day, rather than keep them hanging around while the lawyers rehearsed points of law. In the end, only one bloke knew Mark. The all-white jury (where are the black people in Cumbria?) contains six men and six women.

Arguments between the three defence barristers and the Crown about the admissibility and relevance of evidence centre upon ground that has already been covered in a pre-trial ruling that Judge Phillips delivered back in March. The defendants contended that their arrest was an abuse of process on the part of the police who had previously led them to believe that they could operate with impunity, so long as THC4MS stayed within certain parameters (which they have been careful to do by only supplying bona fide MS sufferers).

Mark Gibson contended that he had two interviews with the police, one following some local publicity regarding his intention of opening a Dutch style coffee shop. The cops didn't think that was a very good idea. In the light of the Colin Davies Experience, Mark agreed! The second meeting, with DCI Whitehead, specifically concerned the operation of THC4MS. There are differences in their recollections of what exactly was said at that meeting, the only contemporaneous record of which was lost in the famous flood that closed Carlisle police station (with the consequence that the cops are now operating out of what looks like an old pub the town centre).

There are a couple of key phrases that it has been agreed were said by Mr Gibson to DCI Whitehead that both sides intend to invoke. The defence say that Mark was clear about his intention to continue supplying cannabis chocolate to MS sufferers in the belief that what THC4MS did was right and that they had a defence under the law (of medical necessity). Mr Grout-Smith said that the Crown is not suggesting that the defendants profited, or sought to profit, from their enterprise. However, "it is no defence. Even if you honestly and genuinely believe it is right and even if you believe it to be lawful, it isn't."

Since the defence can't rightly say what their arguments will be before they've heard the prosecution case, it was decided that Judge Phillips will rule on defence admissibility before the defence case starts, which best guesstimates reckon will be next Monday. In the meantime, the prosecution will present its case and the defence team will cross examine its witnesses and the judge will rule on what is and is not admissible as the case goes on. Since DCI Whitehead is bound to be the lead witness for the prosecution, I'm hoping that I'll see him writhe on the witness stand tomorrow, after such a dry day today.

Business was concluded before lunch time, but the judge suggested that the court should reconvene at 2pm in case there were any outstanding issues or, as some of the more cynical observers suggested, just to make sure that everybody could claim to have worked a full day. (Which certainly isn't fair on the defence counsel who are working for nothing.) Judge Phillips wound up by asking counsel if there were any other impediments to the trial starting at 10.30 tomorrow morning and quipping that he hoped not to hear the first objection at 10.31!

The court will not be sitting on Thursday because Mr Phillips has a prior appointment - something to do with Pearl Harbour Day? - and there's a strong rumour that His Honour is due to take up a new job next Wednesday, so one would expect a verdict before then. There's a chance the defence will kick off on Friday, but all the witnesses are booked for next week. It looks like the crucial days will be Monday and Tuesday next week, when the defence will be making its case, and it really would be encouraging to see as many medicinal cannabis users, carers and sharers as possible in the area

http://www.sue-green.com/cannablog/2006 ... day-1.html

winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm

THC4MS Trial - Day 2

HC4MS, Day Two

It was good to meet Hvy Fuel, Bartman and Rex Mundi @ the court, on what was a pretty dull day's play. Before proceedings began, the judge said that one of the jury had stated that his daughter has MS, but counsel decided that that was no reason for that jury member to be disqualified.

Mr Grout-Smith, for the Crown, opened by describing how 33 packets containing cannabis chocolate had been apprehended in the sorting office @ Carlisle on January 25th, 2005. Each contained a 150g bar of chocolate containing approximately 2% cannabis, as stated on the label and confirmed by forensic analysis. One packet contained a cheque for £10 made out to THC4MS with a Post It note attached which explained that THC4MS was unable to open a bank account, so the cheque could not be cashed, but blank cheques, postal orders and stamps were all useful. As a consequence, Mark and Lezley Gibsons' home in Alston was visited by police on the morning of February 8th.

When Marcus Davies' home in Huntingdon was visited by police, some five months later on 18th June, evidence of three bank accounts in the name of his partner was discovered, along with a list of some 460 addresses of THC4MS clients. (Sadly, the details of the botched swoop on Marcus home were omitted as, comically, the cops first visited one of his clients - who owned the PO Box used by THC4MS - and then they raided his partner's mother's house, next door, before finally getting the right address on the third attempt.) Obviously, the time between the Gibson's arrest and the police visit to Marcus Davies' (not to mention the catalogue of errors before they reached the right house) gave Marcus ample time to lose any incriminating evidence, if there was any. As it goes, someone is driving up from Cambrigeshire with the relevant documents.

Grout-Smith repeated that, "the Crown does not suggest that this (making money) was their (the defendants') primary motivation." Nevertheless, there is an issue regarding finances and the omission of several pages in the bundle of evidence that Marcus Davies' barrister, also a Mr Davies, received from his original solicitor, who was sacked. Several pages are missing and that caused one of several delays today, while the lawyers went into a huddle. The relevant pages will be provided for tomorrow's session, when there will be further discussion of THC4MS finances.

The indictment against the Gibsons and Marcus Davies (which is in two parts because of the reclassification of cannabis that came into effect on 28th January, 2004) alleges that they conspired to supply cannabis over the period from January 1, 2004 to February 8th, 2005 (when the Gibsons were swooped).

Grout-Smith conceded that Lezley and Mark made no secret of what they were doing to police and claimed to have distributed 22,000 bars of cannabis chocolate to some 1,200 people (although Mark actually estimated the figure to be 33,000 and Marcus now reckons that THC4MS has sent about 38,000 bars to some 2,000 MS sufferers over the past six years). A 'conspiracy' is simply an agreement to do something that entails criminal activity. In this case, the defendants went further than just plotting, but had supplied a vast amount of cannabis over a period of years. They had not been charged with supplying cannabis because it would be 'too cumbersome' to list numerous individual counts of supply and so the charge of conspiracy had been used instead.

Grout-Smith told the jury that the defendants only supplied cannabis chocolate to people who provided evidence of their diagnosis of MS, and that they were not the "usual type of drug dealers". There's no doubt, he said, that they beleived they were alleviating pain. However, what they did is illegal. The law is occasionaly reviewed (not!) and there's an ongoing lively debate among doctors about the medicinal value of cannabis. However, he said, this court is not the appropriate forum in which to resolve such arguments. "The evidence will show that the defendants were aware of an element of risk in what they were doing and were hoping the authorities would turn a blind eye, but the abuse of the Royal Mail could not be ignored."

The Crown's first witness, Detective Chief Inspector Whitehead had been the Crime Manager of the North Cumbria region in 2005, but he's now moved on. He described the surveillance operation that ran from August to November, 2002 (not to be confused with any other surveillance operations). Cross examining for Mark, Mr Hoare asked Whitehead about whose decision it was to adandon Operation Marathon (or whatever the surveillance operation was codenamed). In fact it was Brian Horn, Chief Superintendent of North Cumbria Police at the time. Where is Mr Horn now? Not here, that's where.

On September 4th, 2002, the police had obtained a warrant and were all keyed up to come crashing in on the cannabis chocolate factory they had very good reason to believe existed at the Gibsons' premises in Alston. They'd acquired this knowledge through assiduous surveillance, but also because the Gibsons had told the world in several articles in the press, non of which DCI Whitehead could remember having caught when cross examined by Mr Davies for Mr Davies. But the planned swoop on the cannabis chocolate factory didn't happen when the strike force was stood down at the eleventh hour for 'operational reasons!'

Reviewing the situation in November 2002, the Super decided it was wasn't worth carrying on with the operation against THC4MS and tasked DCI Whithead with having a word with Mark Gibson, which he did on 10.12.02. This meeting was recorded and wasn't lost in the famous flood. Mark's POV, as stated at that meeting, was (1) that he intended to carry on making and distributing cannabis chocolate to MS suffers until such a time as a viable alternative medicine was made available and (2) not a court in the land would convict him for it because THC4MS acted through medical necessity, which was a defence proven in the British courts by cases including one against Lezley in 1999, when she was found Not Guilty of possessing cannabis, because it was medicinal.

Andrew Ford, for Lezley, teazed this out in his cross examination, asking, if Mr Horn had been concerned that the police should not be seen to be 'oppressive'? "No!" said Whitehead. "Lezley Gibson had already been prosecuted and found Not Guilty" said Mr Ford, asking if Mr Whitehead didn't agree that was "a barometer of local feeling"? DCI Whitehead agreed that it was. However, he thought his superior's decision was for strategic and resource reasons. He told Mark that what he was doing was not a high police priority. But priorities can change and the police can't ignore complaints...

The way it was at the back end of 2002 was that THC4MS could continue doing what they did so long as they kept within certain parameters, which they did for another two years, until January 25th, 2005, when something happened. Next on the stand came Alison Heather Lawson, a packet stamper at Junction Street sorting office in Carlisle, to tell exactly what. She originally said in her statement that she went to stamp this jiffy bag and it fell open, but on the stand she described the procedure whereby four sorters stamp 300 pieces of mail every 15 minutes and said that, actually, she'd already stamped the package and flung it into the appropriate sorting bin, when the contents fell out because it had not been sealed. The strip of tape covering the sticky strip that seals the jiffy bag had not been removed and the package had not been sealed. Where was this particular unsealed jiffy bag and its contents? Not in evidence in court today, that's where.

What was shown in court was an empty jiffy bag that had been sealed with seloptape, as were all the other 32 packages containing cannabis chocolate that were found at the sorting office that night (Mark Gibson told police one had been missed; he'd posted 34). Not only were these other packages sealed by their sticky flaps, but they were double sealed with selotape, because that is the way that THC4MS regularly sent out at least a hundred bars a week, not one of which had ever fallen open at the sorting office before. Of course Ms Lawson didn't open the package hereself, because that would be more than her job's worth and she's been in the job 13 years. She insisted that this jiffy bag had not been sealed and the contents fell out, clearly marked 'cannabis chocolate' - with a URL and a Box no. - and she "wasn't sure it was something that should be sent through the post". So, instead of sticking it back in the packet and sending it on its way, she called her line manager, David Robert Richardson, who was next up.

Mr Richardson told the court how he'd rounded up 33 similar packts containing cannabis chocolate and had opened non of them, because only the Police and Customs are allowed to do that, but he used a scanning machine to verify their contents.

DC Mark Johnson's evidence spanned the lunch break. He's a member of the Hi-Tech Crime Unit at Penrith, a specialist in the interrogation of seized computers and internet-related crime. His testimony gave a few comic opportunites for judicial incomprehension (URL? DNS? WTF?) but these were played with a straight bat by His Honour. DC Johnson copied the THC4MS web site onto a disc and printed out every page in full colour. The cross examination - particularly Mr Davies for Mr Davies - took him through the content of most if not all of those pages on which the THC4MS mission statment and conditions of service were repeated. The jury was told again and again that THC4MS provide cannabis chocolate exclusively to bona fide multiple sclerosis patients. It does say on the web site that THC4MS needs to cover its costs and a donation of £5 per bar was recommended, but it was not obligatory. There was no secrecy and no charge.

After the police man stood down, the Crown read a witness statement from Penelope Diane Wendell who trades as Penny Thornton, astrologer and business associate of Marcus Davies, who runs her web site, astrolutely-dot-com. Penny pays the rent on a POBox which, without her knowledge, Marcus was also using to collect mail for THC4MS. After that came a load of Admissions (evidence that's not disputed). Everything seized from the mail and from the swoops on Alston and Huntingdon was itemised and the forensic evidence, too. The jury was told that each bar of Cannabiz chocolate was intended to weigh 150g (actually 139-170g) and contain 3.5g (an eighth!) of powdered cannabis. Each bar was divided into 24 sqaures and the recommended dose was two or three squares of chocolate per day, so that a bar would last an MS sufferer 8-12 days (and might be the only medicine they needed).

And so we came to the end of a tedious day with the rain drizzling down outside in a glowering sky split by a searchlight full moon! I couldn't post @ Bar Solo last night, because I left it a little too late and the place was packed with boozers baying at the moon. Penny Thornton has told Marcus that Friday is going to be a highly significant day in his life,astrologically, and the way things are going it does look like that's going to be his day to give evidence.

The stuff about Marcus' bank accounts was a surprising because it wasn't included in theinformation that his barrister received when briefed, so this morning was the first he'd heard of it. Anyway, hopefully that should be sorted out in the first hour or so on day 3, when the prosecution case will be concluded and Mark Gibson will be called as the first witness for the defence.

The court won't be sitting on Thursay, but things do appear to be moving apace. It hardly seems like that the trial will be wound up on a Friday afternoon because of the temptation for the jury to rush its decision, so everyone can go down the metaphorical pub. So the Defence case will probably be concluded on Monday.
http://www.sue-green.com/cannablog/2006 ... day-2.html

winstone
Forum builder

Postby winstone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm

THC4MS Trial - Day 3

THC4MS, Day Three

Frustratingly, day three started late and finished early. The start was delayed because Greg Hoare, Mark's barrister, was otherwise engaged in another court and because Mr Davies, Marcus' barrister, needed to familiarise himself with the evidence to be presented by the last prosecution witness, an accountant by the name of Christopher Jones. This is the geezer who added up all the receipts and whatnot he was given by the cops who raided chez Davies and came to the conclusion that Marcus was operating three bank accounts in his girlfriend's name, through which some forty grand had passed over a period of a little over two years. I tactfully omitted this information from my account of yesterday's proceedings because (1) the defence had not been properly informed of this witness and yesterday was the first they'd heard of it and (2) because it's a load of bollocks: Tara's got one account and twenty grand a year is not a massive income for a family with two children.

However, Russell Jenkins in The Times was not so scrupulous in his second hand report that appears on page 3 of today's paper. Although the jury are not supposed to read the papers, the Judge opened today's proceedings at nearly midday by advising them of some mis-reporting in the press. The Daily Mirror, in a stub headlined something snappy like, "Couples' Pot Chocolate", inaccurately reported that the Gibson's had 'sold' cannabis chocolate, but it should have said, 'supplied'. In fact, the Crown does not suggest that CannaBiz chocolate was ever sold. The Times' report refers to Tara's three bank accounts, which the Judge said could have been the result of some confusion with Mark Gibson, who does operate three bank accounts (business, personal, savings).

The one like Jeremy Grout-Smith, having presented a pretty miserable case for the Crown yesterday, rose to his elegantly shod feet to inform His Honour that the prosecution defence could not call its final witness, the incompetent accountant, Mr Jones, who will not be available until Friday morning. The defence cannot proceed until this accountancy issue is resolved and nor can the legal arguments be had, which Mr Phillips has agreed to adjudicate before the defence starts to put its case.

Mr Grout-Smith could do not more to advance the prosecution than read out further extracts from the Admissions enumerated yesterday, in particular the interviews conducted with Lezley Gibson and Marcus Davies, at the time of their respective arrests and subsequently. This took up the hour or so before lunch. Had you not known that Jezza G-S wasn't on their side, you'd never have guessed it from the extracts of Lezley's and Marcus's interviews that he chose to draw the jury's attention to.

He retold, in her words, how Lezley had gradually decided to go public about her use of cannabis after Mark had spent a week in Durham Gaol over a cannabis offence and had become progressively more militant. She described the cannabis chocolate-making process in detail, emphasising the scrupulous care they took to make it easy for MS patients to consume. The operation adhered to the highest standards of hygiene, in which Mark is formally qualified. Lezley said that Mark would not be involved in the medicinal cannabis issue, or in manufacturing and distributing the cannabis chocolate, if it were not for his wife's medical condition and her insistence upon carrying on providing effective medicine to people in a similar position.

In a second interview after Marcus had been busted, the police told Lezley that cannabis plants had been found at his house and asked her if he were growing them on behalf of THC4MS, in order to provide the active ingredient for the cannabis chocolate? Lezley said that most of the cannabis that THC4MS used was donated anonymously, so she couldn't say whether Marcus had ever sent them cannabis to put into the chocolate, but that she doubted it because Marcus was a medicinal cannabis user himself, although he doesn't have MS and isn't qualified to receive CannaBiz chocolate.

Finally, Mr Grout-Smith read from the transcript, Lezley said, "what we do, we do to help people, not to line our pockets. I do what I do because people ask me to. I don't ask them if they want to try some cannabis chocolate, they come to me. And I can do without this..."

The interview statements from Marcus Davies, when he was arrested in June 2005 and five weeks later at a second interview in Penrith, were similarly positive. Marcus described his role in running a PO Box for THC4MS, which was the first point of contact for clients, who had to request each and every cannabis chocolate bar by letter. Every week, Marcus would clear the PO Box and send a list of requests to Alston, along with any cash, stamps or postal orders. Cheques made out to 'THC4MS' were returned because they couldn't be banked and cheques with the payee line left blank were passed through his partner, Tara's bank account without her necessarily knowing what the money was for.

At a subsequent interview, Marcus said that for a period of between six and twelve months, he deducted ten per cent from any monies he handled for THC4MS as an administration charge and to cover his costs. He'd kept rudimentary but accurate accounts and a breakdown of THC4MS activity for one week in September 2003 was given: THC4Ms had received 39 requests for CannaBiz chocolate; £182 in 10 cheques, one of which was made out to L.Gibson; £130 in cash; £21 worth of postal orders and stamps to the value of £34.70.

Marcus was asked why he was growing cannabis at his home in Huntingdon and if it was intended for THC4MS and Marcus said, no, it was intended for him. He is also a medicinal cannabis user who suffers from epilepsy and diabetes, but he doesn't have multiple sclerosis and is not therefore eligible to receive THC4MS chocolate. He needed to grow his own cannabis to ensure quality - the strain he was growing was not your regular street skunk - and to get away from the 'scumbag dealers'. Mr Grout-Smith had Marcus repeat the phrase, 'scumbag dealers', as if to emphasise to the jury what Mr Davies is not! "I don't want anything to do with scumbag dealers," Marcus Davies told police.

Marcus discussed his role as the web-master of thc4ms.org, which domain is registered in his name and which he updates on instruction from Mark. He didn't know for certain where the cannabis chocolate factory was located, had never helped make the chocolate and had never even seen it being made. He had never received any CannaBiz chocolate from THC4MS because he isn't eligible to receive it. He had tried some once, when a bar of CannaBiz was returned to the THC4MS PO Box because it could not be delivered. Marcus had tried a few squares, but he wasn't fond of dark chocolate and he couldn't really tell if it had much effect, frankly, since he smoked quite a lot of cannabis anyway.

And that's it. That, substantively, is the prosecution case. The court is not sitting tomorrow and so now the jury has been sent away until Friday morning, when they will assemble at 10.30 to hear the evidence of the final prosecution witness, Mr Christopher Jones, who I guarantee is going to be torn to shreds in cross examination. This will take maybe an hour and a half. Then the jury are going to be sent away again while the lawyers and the judge have their legal confabulation. Oh, they can't wait. His Honour told the lads what case law he'd been digging into on Monday, tipping them the wink as to what they needed to study: Archbold/Blackstone on Conspiracy; the Anderson decision ("excellent scholarship from Lord Bridge" purred His Honour); Churchill (2) in Skye.

I won't be in court on Friday and I wouldn't understand the legal arguments anyway, but if any law students from Newcastle or Durham are reading this, you might consider getting yourself along to the Carlisle Court on Friday afternoon to hear the discussion that will ultimately determine what defence THC4MS will be permitted to present to the jury, starting next Monday. Then you can tell us all about it here!

So, we're back to the original timetable. The defence won't now start before Monday and is likely to last a couple of days, so a verdict probably won't come before Wednesday. Frankly, the prospects are looking pretty darn good. The prosecution have totally failed to make a convincing case that any of the defendants have done anything wrong. The jury must be thinking, 'is that it?' Now, they're going to wait 36 hours to be presented with a load of bollocks which is going to be flatly contradicted by a very competent defence team. Then they're going to have all weekend to consider the (lack of) evidence against THC4MS.
http://www.sue-green.com/cannablog/2006 ... day-3.html

winstone
Forum builder

Next

Return to Cannabis policies for the rest of the EU