Hempcity in the press

Dutch Growrooms

Travel reports

Links to friends

Our Cannabis Shops

Image Galleries

Link to Hempcity

Guestbook

Do you use any of these rolling paper brands?!

Who has a special piece, or knows a spliffing new way to roll a special joint?

Moderators: deliriumt, cannabinol, milehigh, CoolZero

Do you use any of these rolling paper brands?!

Postby Puffin13 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:08 am

If you or someone you know, uses rolling papers, then you might find this article interesting and probably maddening. I found this rolling paper article in the latest issue, May/June 2007, #66 of Cannabis Culture magazine. The events occurred in May 2006 but I had not heard about it and thought that others may not have either. I will attempt to give you the short version of the article. Take it with how many grains of salt you wish but I personally don’t think this is fabricated news.

The world’s oldest rolling paper business, in Spain, was founded in the 1800’s and the first cigarette paper booklets first appeared in the 1860’s. Miguel y Costas Hermanos’ International brand “Smoking” was introduced in 1924 and the company adopted its present name, Miguel y Costas & Miguel (MCM) in 1929. MCM is now one of the worlds largest rolling paper manufacturers, producing the following brands:
Smoking (including Deluxe, Red, Blue, Green, Eco, etc.);
Bambu (Hemp, New Flavored papers, etc.);
Randy’s (paper by MCM, wires by CTC);
Mantra (new flavored paper);
Pure Hemp; Skunk; 4:20; Rips Rolls; Guarami;
Bugler Papers; STYX; and Bob Marley.

In May 2006, MCM was convicted of a “crime against public health” after a 6 year investigation. The judge in Barcelona Court #9 concluded that the director of MCM, Jordi Merchant, consciously allowed components like linen and hemp to be replaced by wood and esparto to save costs. Over time, smoking esparto, wood and inferior fibers can cause cancer of the larynx, lips and lungs and is banned from the production of rolling papers in Europe.

This news, the article says, is affecting potentially 25,000,000 North Americans. The contamination took place over several years and is just now being heard about. Not only are Bambu papers made prior to 2006 suspect in their composition, their flavored papers were very recently advertised in High Times as “100% Natural” and “All Natural”. May 10, 2006, Bambu wrote a letter to consumers, not about the discovery of carcinogenic materials, but that some of their papers contain saccharin, which is not a natural product.

I would suggest that you read the entire article if you can. It’s very eye-opening and angering at the same time. Time to switch to a glass pipe? Peace.
Home honey! I'm high!
Puffin13

Postby Ernest » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:37 pm

WTF??????????????????? :evil:

I´m using Smoking (red) :cry:
shh...
Ernest
Hemp City Lover

Postby mickgeeza » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:06 pm

Nice one mate, I reckon its time for a change. :wink:
KEEP ON TOKIN
mickgeeza

Postby d0z3r » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 pm

I use OCB slim! :)

Good info! Are the Smoking papers free from those contaminants now or are they still on the shelves for sale?

d0z3r

• Website

Postby AmeriSkunk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Time to switch to a glass pipe?
Damn right, I'm glad I made the switch a few years back to bubblers, I highly reccomend them for healthier smoking.
AmeriSkunk
Hemp City Lover

Postby Ernest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Switched from Smoking to OCB,yesterday..... :shock:
shh...
Ernest
Hemp City Lover

Re: Do you use any of these rolling paper brands?!

Postby Joe King Park » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Modianos :wink: Are Made Of Rice Paper And When Burnt Leave Only A Tiny Bit Of Ash As Compared To A Rizzla Red Which Leaves A Larger Pile
Do A Test Like This To Determine Wether You Are Smoking With An Angels Embrace Or Wether You Are Smoking With Horse Blankets :wink:
JKP
Branded
Joe King Park

Return to Smoke equipment