Travel reports

Links to friends

Our Cannabis Shops

Image Galleries

Link to Hempcity

Guestbook

www.hempcity.net Forum Index www.hempcity.net
Welcome to the HempCity Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unbelievable lie. Man smokes himself to death.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hempcity.net Forum Index -> Press: Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virgil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Unbelievable lie. Man smokes himself to death. Reply with quote

The same story was carried by the Daily Telegraph and can be read with comments at http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread18175.shtml I really just have one to say about it. I do not know how it translates from American to English. I call Bullshit.

Cannabis Killed Regular Smoker, Inquest Finds

January 20, 2004

A 36-year-old man is believed to have become the first person in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning, after smoking six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years.

The death of Lee Maisey, which was registered as having been caused by cannabis toxicity, led to new warnings about the drug, which is due to be reclassified this month as a less dangerous one.

"This type of death is extremely rare," Professor John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, said after an inquest at Haverfordwest, west Wales.

"I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody."

The inquest heard that Mr Maisey had complained of a headache on August 22 last year. Next morning he was found dead at the house he shared with a friend, Jeffrey Saunders, in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire.

Complete Article: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/20/1074360755990.html
Leon Helios

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it kind of funny tho, especially if it's true. This is the first time someone is suspected of dying from cannabis - I mean, how many haven't died from cigarettes and alcohol and presciption drugs?

I can't really put it into words, but I see this as a slap in the face on those idiots whom still claim that cannabis is more dangerous than whatever.

They make a big deal out of it while if a man would die under more normal circumstances (ie alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs) it wouldn't probably even be news, unless it happened to someone famous or under circumstances that could sell the news.

My spontaneous reaction is just "fucking idiots!"

But hey, we live in a free world right - so even idiots deserve to have a opinion.
CoolZero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Wow!, I thought you really could not die of cannabis. But is this not a joke story or maybe he combined some things together. Who knows?

This is the first person who died because of cannabis?

I find it hard to believe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
not a user

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: can you die from weed? Reply with quote

This guy in England was the first person to OD on cannabis if you believe this story. What I wonder is how this person supposedly died from cannabis. What was the level of thc in the blood that supposedly caused the death. Did it stop the functioning of the central nervous system as happens with alcohol poisining (alcohol prevents the necessary brain signals needed to keep ones heart and lungs working) did it cause his heart to beat too quickly and co into cardiac arrest? Was it like a heroin OD when the drug, similar to alcohol, makes it so ones heart and lungs do not receive the message to work? Just how did the doctor come to the conclusion that it was acute cannabis toxicity? What is acute cannbis toxicity? Did they check too see if he smoked hashich cut with some kind of barbituates? Did they check to see if he smoked hashish cut with some kind of plastic? Did he smoke only cannabis plant in his spliffs? Was there tobacco in his spliffs? Did he smoke cannabis flowers or hashish? Did they even check to see if he had a stroke?
the smoking man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: real cause of death was withdrawl from alcohol Reply with quote

This man who supposedly died from cannabis poisining, , really probably died of withdrawl from alcohol, known in shorthand as DT. He was supposedly a complete alcoholic and had been for many years. I will give links at the bottom so you can read for yourselves. Side effects of DT can range from hallucinations to seizures and strokes.

Link to side effects of alcohol withdrawl
http://www.alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdrawal/a/aa000125a.htm
just cut and paste it into your address bar if the link doesnt turn blue*

link to article saying he was an alcoholic who hadnt drunk for 2 days (2 days is when DT starts to set in)
http://www.tenby-today.co.uk/news/newsdetail.cfm?id=71730
again cut and paste in the address bar.
Green Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: reclassification Reply with quote

it's just 'cos it's one week before reclassification and the scaremongers are getting desperate Razz
there'll be quite a few more stories based on no scientific proof in the UK press this week i'm sure.
of course he didn't die of cannabis toxicity. haven't they done tests on mice and found you have to eat about 20% of your body weight in THC to die ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hempcity.net Forum Index -> Press: Europe All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum